Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Inspiration of Wii to Mii

A few years ago my grandson Kodie received the Nintendo Wii for Christmas. I am not a big video game player at all. But I must confess, when my husband and I made our way upstairs to the game room and sat and watched him box I got really curious. It seemed like the character on the t.v screen was moving right along with him. If he punched with his left hand so did the character. Quite different than the Space Invader type games that I remembered. Then he showed us the baseball game and tennis. Then he brought out the big guns. Wii Bowling. Oh my gosh!!!! Talk about a kick in the pants. I was hooked. So hooked that we ended up bowling so long that we were actually sore the next day. We called it "Wii Butt".

This past Christmas, my husband and son surprised me with a Nintendo Wii. I couldn't believe it. We immediately set it up and designed our characters and started bowling. I gotta tell you. My little Wii Mii is so cute. She looks just like me. Green eye shadow and purple outfit. Shii even has glasses. My son Jaymes' Wii wears one of those silly stocking cap things. Then there is my goofy husband who dresses his Mii in dark shades for that "extra" cool in control look. We have even designed Wii Miis for our friends that come to visit and play with us. All 3 of us are Pro bowlers now. At least at home when Wii play.

In February I was surprised again with the Wii Fit system. Now I must admit, I was quite happy with my bowling Mii and wasn't quite sure about the idea of exercising with a t.v. Now if you know anything about the Wii, your character in the sports package is most likely going to look different from your Wii Mii in the Wii fit area. To put it quite plainly......my Wii Mii reflects the true body style of the Mii Me. Did you get that? Yes indeed it is true. This new Wii character has the audacity of actually having this little tubby body that very much resembles mine. What happened to that bowling babe????? Apparently when you type in the physical attributes that you possess the darn thing takes it seriously and makes the character in the "shape" of your real person. Drat the luck I say. But, I put a smile on my face and proceeded to sit back and prepare to laugh as Bryan and Jaymes built their Wii Mii. What the deuce???? Not an ounce of fat on either one of them. This might be a bit more difficult to bear than I had originally thought. It was OK if we were ALL going to look kinda pudgy, but just me????

That night we decided to do our first "Body Test" How many of you have the Wii? Isn't that the cutest little voice you have ever heard? It is so precious. Except during the body test. My immediate mistake was going first. I should NEVER have done that. I remember stepping on to the balance board and it actually made a groaning sound. Have any of you heard that? I mean, didn't you almost fall over? A groan???? It's a game for heaven's sake. The sound was almost personal. But before I could step off of the thing this cute little Elmo type voice says "That's Obese". I turned ever so slowly to get a look at my husband and son's faces. They were literally staring at the t.v. in disbelieve. "Did that thing just say what I thought it said" I demanded? And then the unthinkable funny happened. They both started to laugh. Not just ha ha laugh, but the deep down belly laugh that makes your sides hurt. Then I got to laughing. Pretty soon we were all just busting up. I declared that very night that I would make her eat those words. No little 3 year old twit in a t.v. set was going to call me obese.

Now even though that moment was uncomfortable, it did indeed make me look at myself. I was overweight and out of shape. but could this little scrap of a thing in a t.v really help me get back on track. Well, I decided then and there that Shii could help Mii and we have been working out together ever since. Well, not everyday. Old habits die hard ya know. But I will tell you honestly, it was that little voice so politely telling me that I was obese that gave me the incentive to keep trying and by the end of May I had lost 20 pounds. Then the doldrums set in and I got lazy. that is the only way to explain it. Pure and simple lazy. I had almost given up until my husband took me to the movies.

We went and saw Julie and Julia at the theater last weekend and the story of their story inspired me to finish what I had started. So I am back on my Wii Fit program. It really isn't that hard. It just takes a commitment and I really think I can do that. So I decided to blog about it in case their are others with a lost Wii Mii who need to be found and put back on the right Wii path. together we can do it. We can share stories and motivate each other to keep going or try new Wii moves. Or Wii recipes. Or just a friendly Wii chat. So join Mii on my journey won't you? It will be fun and helpful to me to post my ups and downs, improvements and well you get the idea. I know that I have lots of friends out there that also work out with their Wii . Join me when you can OK? A little Wii will make a better Mii.

2 comments:

  1. OK, kid, I'm in.
    However, I take a different approach to exercising. I crave it, long for it, want it everyday, but cannot. This chronic back thing has changed every area of my life. I'm an active person and crave movement. I have been since I was a kid. I'm not hyperactive but I do enjoy exercising. I thank God when I have a day that I can exercise even if it's just 10 minutes on the elliptical. It's a gift and a priveledge. Some days, it's all I can do to get through the work day. Some days--like today :))
    --I get to hop on the elliptical and carefully go for 30 minutes. Yahoooo! I love it!!
    I encourage you to take advantage of the health you have and the ability while you have it. We're not getting any younger and it's all downhill from here as far as our earthly bodies are concerned. So get out there and kick some tiny tubby wii butt!!
    Your tubby little wii can eat our dust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nansii, you're an inspiration! I love to box on Wii, but haven't done it in over a year. Keep blogging about it, and maybe it'll be catching. Thanks, Jean Keener

    ReplyDelete